A cultural and artistic project serving the fight against violent extremism
TERRE CEINTE is a project proposing the creation and implementation of cultural and artistic tools for the prevention of violent extremism and for the initiation of a process of resilience for people who are victims of it. It is implemented by Récréâtrales and the Acclamations Theater Company in Burkina Faso.
TERRE CEINTE is structured around three axes:
– the creation and dissemination of artistic programming in areas affected by terrorism,
– amateur artistic practice
– the creation of material and digital content.
The project is implemented in the localities of Kaya, Tenkodogo, Fada, Koudougou, Bobo-Dioulasso, Koupéla and Ouagadougou in collaboration with the Regional Directorates of Culture.
– in Tenkodogo in September 2021: 3 weeks of artistic practice workshops with a restitution show at the end of the workshops and the programming of the play “Le Quartier” by Aristide Tarnagda. This approach was financed by the Embassy of Luxembourg in Burkina Faso.
– in Koupéla in October 2021: 2 weeks of artistic practice workshops with a restitution show at the end of the workshops and the programming of the play “Le Quartier”. This stage was financed by Enabel.
– in Kaya in December 2021 in partnership with the UNHCR: 3 weeks of artistic practice workshops (theater, dance, music/singing, photography for the benefit of 76 participants and painting for the benefit of 200 participants) with a restitution show at the exit from the workshops and the programming of the play Terre Ceinte et Le Quartier by Aristide Tarnagda, the show Ragandé by KPG, a storytelling show by Rasmane Bassam, live music concerts by local artists and finally film screenings in partnership with the Imagine Institute. This phase was financed by the French Embassy.
– in Kaya and Tenkodogo from February to November 2022: 4 weeks of artistic practice workshops (theatre, dance, music/singing, photography) with 40 participants from Tenkodogo and 4 weeks with 60 participants from Kaya, 2 months of training artistic professional for the benefit of 4 young people from Kaya and Tenkodogo, 2 broadcasts of each play Terre Ceinte and Le Quartier, collective creation of Roméo et Juliette and its broadcast in Kaya and Tenkodogo (2 performances per city), and finally creations of material and digital content (photographic exhibitions, video capsules, Facebook and Instagram page of the project).
This stage was financed by the IFA – institut für Auslandsbeziehungen, zivik funding programme.
Each step of the workshop will be implemented over a period of 3 weeks.
During the stages of the artistic creation workshops, the following activities are planned:
– Programming of one professional theater play per site
– Programming of three films (one per site)
– The programming of two photographic exhibitions:
– Continuation of the creation of the show Tu dis PDI with an additional month of residency and its broadcast in Ouagadougou.
Created in October 2022, the show requires a second phase of residency to continue work on the dramaturgy, collect more testimonies while taking the time necessary to get all the participants to express themselves. The choreographed part must also be developed.
– Improvement and finalization of 1 project booklet. The photographs and testimonies of the participants and the artists involved were recorded, selected and edited in the 2022 phase of the project. The layout will be improved and the texts of the authors in residence at Tenkodogo, Fada and Kaya will be included to introduce the fiction and poetically link the different elements of the booklet.
– Organization of two fiction writing residencies for the two authors associated with the project booklet who will also supervise the writing workshops during the stages of the artistic creation workshops. Fiction from writing residencies could constitute the raw material for a creative project.
– National tour of the play Roméo et Juliette in 4 cities (Koupéla, Koudougou, Bobo-Dioulasso and Fada).
– Improvement and regular updating of the TERRE CEINTE project website.
These planned activities are funded by the IFA – institut für Auslandsbeziehungen, zivik funding programme.